Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Slam!

I posted this a while ago on Twitter, but I thought I'd share it here too! A few months back, Striver's Row, a renowned spoken word/slam poetry group performed on campus. It was my first time experiencing it, and beforehand, I happened to be in a bad mood (you know, one of those times where you stomp around feeling depressed and like you have no friends), so I went alone, and man did fate push me into the right audience that night! Even though I was just one of hundreds of people in the audience, the feel of the words and the weaving of language pulsed through me like a huge emotional wave, bringing me up and pulling me down. At the end of the performances, it felt as if these pulses of feeling had massaged out all the knots of bad moods that had been plaguing me all day, and I left feeling relaxed and refreshed.

That may have just been true for me and my overanalyzing brain though... but regardless, the performances were undeniably gorgeous and dimensioned. They were like dioramas made of language! But enough of my wishy-washy descriptions! To give you a delectable taste, I present "Cab Rides and The Morning After" by Alysia Harris:

No comments:

Post a Comment

what do you have to say?